2007/05/12

Depression

I don't want to write about sad. But I want to know the other countries's situations. So I am writing about depression of the sick.

I have a friend. She has been suffering from depression for a few years.

Yesterday, I got the email from her. She decided to quit the job in order to fix up the depression. In Japan, the number of people who suffer from depression for a few years is increasing. Some of them killed by themselves in Japan. Japanese government tried to solve them. But it doesn't work well.

In addition, it is true that people who are suffer from the depression of the sick are subject to discrimination and prejudice in Japan.

And it isn't common to go to counselors for Japanese.

I heard that the price of counselors is too expensive because Japanese assurance doesn't allow.

I am sorry that she has to quit the her job. Because she loves her job.

I know that health is most important.

But she has to give up her job because of the depression?

After I got the email, I called her and we talked about her. While talking with her, I could understand her suffer and I felt so sad.

If the companies and Japanese understand depression of the sick , she must not decide to quit the job that she loves.

Please tell me about the depression of the sick in your countries.

I can't understand why some of Japanese and companies don't try to understand the depression of the sick and some of people who suffer from depression have to be subject to discrimination and prejudice.

4 件のコメント:

Mike さんのコメント...

Hi Reona
I'm sorry to read such a sad tale, I have a very good friend who suffered from depression and it became so bad she had a breakdown. She also had to leave her job and eventually went back to her home town to be with her parents and sister. The good news is that with a rest and the help of her family she was able to recover from the breakdown and build a new life. She struggles from time to time but has now returned to work and seems to be coping really well.
In recent years in the U.K. depression has been treated by most people as a real illness and so the support is there when needed . However I think that often employers don't want to be very sympathetic. Because I saw how sick my friend became and the terrible effects this illness had on her life , I can understand how upsetting for you it would be to hear about your friend.
All I can say is that with help ,understanding and kindness from family and friends and hopefully support from doctors it is possible to recover.
I really hope your friend feels better soon.
Please take care
best wishes
Mike

reona さんのコメント...

Mike:
Thank you for the comment and telling me!

I can understand about England.
Thanks.

I am happy because she is well now.
I will try to hear my friend's suffer and I will support her.

Take care!

P.S I will write emails later!

JAL さんのコメント...

Unfortunately depression rates increasing all around the world. In Europe, we find the higher rates in the North. It is blamed mostly on the weather, but I don't think that is the main reason.
In Spain, depression is also soaring. But, we are still far from Japanese statistics, maybe because the stress of day-to-day life is lower

reona さんのコメント...

Jal:
Thank you for telling me.

I heard that depression rates increasing all around the world. In Europe because of the weather.
But I can't understand the truth of it at all.

My friend quited the job and keeps going to the hopsital.
When I read her emails, I felt sad and I don't know what I do for her.
Mike is right.
I have to hear her and support her.

I hope the people of the world don't suffer from depression.